Network, Learn & Grow a Business
This workshop will introduce:
- What and Who is a Consultant?
- What certifications and special licensing will you need?
- Are you qualified to be a consultant?
- Are you organized enough to be a consultant?
- Do you like to network?
- Have you set long-term and short-term goals?
- Examples of Consulting Business
You’ll also learn about the following from SBDC and City of San Jose Departments
- Business Mentoring Resources
- Business Taxes
- The Building Permitting Process in San Jose
Learn how to plan, start, and grow your business from City of San Jose staff and business experts
Start a Successful Consulting Business For Lifestyle and Profit
In this workshop you will learn what it means to be a consultant, why clients need your skills, how to leverage your expertise and what the requirements are to be successful. It is a good primer for people already in the consulting business and an excellent educator for those thinking of becoming a consultant. The class will explain the do’s and don’ts of selling yourself, basic selling skills you need to know, how to develop a professional image and many marketing tactics and strategies. The class goes through the process of identifying potential clients, what needs to be in a proposal, common terms and conditions that should be included and how to negotiate contracts with your clients. Finally the workshop will help you identify costs you need to recover, calculate your base billing rate and equip you with approaches to charge for your services that help maximize your returns.
- Being a Consultant – Positives and Negatives
- Setup – Business Structure, Choice of Entity
- Getting Clients – Business Development and Marketing
- Proposals and Contracts – SOW, NDA’s, Important Terms
- Pricing – Fee Structures and Costs
- Know what a consultant does and why your client may need one
- Understanding your clients’ need
- Managing scope of work and scope creep
- How to set expectation
- Know the process involved in creating a consulting business and landing new client account
- How to price your services to make a profit